[Los Angeles] How to Think about Syria? Anti-Imperialism, Assad Regime Barbarism, and the Search for an AlternativeDate: Sunday, September 15, 2013
Time: 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Venue: Westside Peace Center, 3916 Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 101-102, press #22 to get into room, Culver City (LA area)
Introducing the Discussion:
- Michael Pugliese, longtime left observer
- Kevin Anderson, author of Marx at the Margins: On Ethnicity, Nationalism, and Non-Western Societies
- Mansoor M., Iranian cultural worker
The situation in Syria cries out for a comprehensive, dialectical response, not just a knee-jerk anti-interventionism that fails to mention the nature of the Assad regime. For this reason, the International Marxist-Humanist Organization’s August 30 statement has a long title:
These are the kinds of questions that we will address, followed by a free and open discussion:
- Can the left fight imperialism at the same time as opposing the Assad regime?
- Can it support the Syrian uprising while also opposing fundamentalism?
- What effect would a U.S. bombing of Syria have on Iran, including on the reform currents inside that country?
Sponsor: West Coast Marxist-Humanists, an affiliate of the International Marxist-Humanist Organization. For more information email to [email protected]